Monday, October 27, 2014

Today.

One year ago today I said my final goodbye to my precious nanny here on this Earth. 
She was the most precious, hysterically funny, caring, feisty lady I have ever known. My whole life she and my pop were present. I seriously cannot think of one event or time in my life they weren't there. 
When my pop passed away, my nanny of course was forever changed. She spent majority of her life selflessly caring for her husband. She lost the love of her life. During this time nanny needed help with some of the everyday things. She didn't drive so I gladly stepped in and helped her. Mom was living in dothan, my uncle was working and I lived next door so it was only logical, but more than that my desire to give a little back to my nanny who always gave us everything. 
My babies were tiny so she was able to help me with them as well. Each Friday I was able to take her to get hair done. We usually then went to eat lunch followed by some shopping. We loved Fridays because we knew that meant girl time. 

As time passed nanny became sicker and her memory was slipping.  Through sickness, a few hospitalizations and even a pacemaker nanny was always her loving,caring, and even witty self. Our Friday girls days didn't happen often whether it be my work schedule,babies being   sick, or nanny just not being up to it. 
Nanny was going through one of her spells and she needed a test done to see what was going on.  Mom asked if I could take on her the following Friday,which was October 4. I was glad to. The girls and I picked her up and we went to have the test. After she was finished I asked if she felt like getting some lunch. To my awesome surprise she said yes!  Nanny let the girls pick and of course they picked Chick Fil A, which nanny was a vegetarian, so this seemed to be a problem. After nanny sucked down her cookies and cream milkshake, I knew she was fine with the choice:). During lunch we sat and talked and  watched the girls play. You could see the joy in her eyes as she watched them. After lunch I asked would she like to go to the mall. Another yes!  We went into carols and that when I saw the mass on her neck.
 In that moment I felt the world stop. I didn't know what exactly it was, but I knew it wasn't good. I immediately called mom and she and nanny headed to Princeton. 

After a biopsy and a meeting with oncologist we discovered nanny had end stage lymphoma with a very limited amount of time left. This was absolutely devastating. My precious nanny was dying. And there was not a thing anyone could do about it. 

24 days from that last girls days nanny room her last breath with my mom and myself in the room with her. The last few week were hard to say the least. There were long days full of tears and sadness with sleepless nights to follow. It was also a time God was very apparent in the situation. Gods presence was felt throughout. He used family, friends, and church family to show His love to my nanny and my family. I am forever great to each one who came by, brought food, prayed and checked on us. 

I am so thankful God allowed to be present during this time and walk along side my mom and uncle and help take care of nanny. After a lifetime of taking care of me I was able to give back a tiny portion. 

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her so much. There isn't a day that goes by that me and girls don't talk about nanny. They loved her so much. I still have questions and still search for closure about certain things involving the journey my family walked through last October. I have questions that will never be answered. But one thing I know My nanny was a child of God and she has been worshiping at the feet of Jesus since this day one year ago. She met Jesus face to face one year ago and was completely healed of lymphoma. Praise God! 

There will always be pain and sadness in missing her but what rejoicing and peace to know I will see her again!  What a legacy she leaves our family. I'm so thankful God chose me to be her granddaughter and allowed me each moment I was blessed to spend with her. 

No comments: